This is our lovely 16′ Fiber Stream Camper manufactured in 1985. And, here’s how we made it our home…
Once Olivia & I decided to live a life on the road, one of our first challenges was finding a camper suitable for our needs and finances. We also wanted something we could tow with our 2004 Ford Ranger Edge (4×4, 4.0L, 6 cylinder, manual, with upgraded towing package). This meant the camper had to be under 4000lbs, and no more than 20 feet long. The majority of campers that fit these requirements were the fiberglass, eggshell style – Casita, Scamp, etc…
We didn’t want to break the bank to purchase a camper either. Months of scouring Craigslist, trailer classified ads, and our local streets led to many visits (sometimes sketchy) to potential home-on-wheels. The searches led to finding our unique Fiber Stream; it was right in our budget and had lots of potential.
During the following six months we modified both the interior and exterior. Here’s a list of the work we completed:
- Flipped Leaf Springs (gave the camper a 6″ lift)
- Reinforced the steal frame.
- Rewired the entire camper, changed from 4-prong to 7-prong
- Rebuilt & extended tongue, adding a large toolbox
- Built new rear bumper and spare tire mount
- Installed new brakes
- Installed two, 100watt solar panels with charge controller and 200ah battery
- Installed composting toilet
- Reupholstered cushions
- Build new cabinet doors, bathroom & closet doors, and front door
- Upgraded tires from 12″ to 13″
- Installed wood flooring
- Repainted exterior color stripe
There were many other small projects completed as well. The many hours spent modifying our camper has made it even more enjoyable to live in now. The experience also gave us so much knowledge about the inner workings of our home – making it easy to diagnose a problem.
Thanks for reading our blog! Our mission is to live minimally & deliberately as we explore the earth and it’s many communities. Help support our mission by shopping through our Amazon Link, visiting our Etsy shop, or better still, listening to our new album!