Can It Tow: GMC Announces Newest 1500 Sierra Lineup
Last night GMC announced its new lineup of 1500 Sierra trucks. The first thing we noticed was a sleek design with super high end trim options.
But, the question we find ourselves asking is, “can it actually tow?”
The answer is yes (with an asterisk).
What the 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 Offers
The 2022 Sierra, as with most GMC products, rises above the aesthetic of its brother, Cheverolet.
Here’s a quick glance of the 2022 features:
- The refreshed exterior features a new grille and revised headlamp design and expressive lighting animation when approaching, starting or walking away from the vehicle.
- A new, unique interior design includes a cockpit-oriented instrument panel along with a new, more functional center console that features electronic precision shift on models with front bucket seats.
- The new, larger 13.4-inch-diagonal color touchscreen is complemented with a new 12.3-inch-diagonal configurable digital instrument cluster and 15-inch-diagonal multicolor Head-Up Display to provide more than 40 diagonal inches of digital display, the most in its class.
- Previously announced for the 2022 GMC HUMMER EV Pickup and introduced on the 2022 Yukon, Sierra comes with Google built-in.
- Sierra Denali Ultimate trim offers exclusive design and premium materials, along with technologies including trailering-capable Super Cruise1 driver-assistance technology and a standard 420-horsepower, 6.2L V-8 engine.
- All-new AT4X trim that offers an exclusive premium interior and advanced off-road capability, with features such as Multimatic DSSV dampers, front and rear e-lockers and Terrain Mode with one-pedal crawling, while delivering excellent on-road comfort and trailering capability.
- A new 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine offers greater refinement, performance and enhanced trailering capability.
But Can the New 1500 Sierra Tow?
The 2022 Sierra includes an enhanced 2.7L Turbo High-Output engine. Highlights include:
- Torque estimated at 420 lb-ft (569 Nm) — a more than 20 percent increase over the current engine
- A new, more rigid cylinder block casting is complemented with a 30 percent-stiffer crankshaft, which enabled engineers to enhance smoothness, reduce noise and tune the engine for greater torque production, particularly in the usable low-mid rpm range
- Higher maximum trailering4 ratings of 9,600 pounds with 2WD models and 9,300 pounds with 4WD models are achieved with the new 2.7L Turbo
- Shift scheduling revisions with the 2.7L Turbo’s eight-speed automatic transmission enhance refinement and deliver quicker downshifts, for a greater feeling of power on demand.
Additional Sierra propulsion lineup updates include improvements with the 3.0L Duramax Turbo-Diesel, along with chassis changes that now allow inclusion of the max tow package, so the 3.0L Duramax, with 277 class-leading diesel horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque, now has a max tow rating of 13,200 pounds (Double Cab 2WD with 20-inch wheels and Max Trailering Package) — a 4,000-pound improvement over the 2021 Sierra.
The Sierra also offers best-in-class light-duty diesel 4WD towing4, at 13,000 pounds.
Also available are the proven 5.3L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management and the 6.2L V-8 with Dynamic Fuel Management. All V-8 engines and the 3.0L Duramax are matched with a 10-speed automatic transmission.
We say, hell yes it can tow!
However, the problem, as with most 1500 trucks, is its inability to tow a large 5th wheel trailer.
No matter how amazing this truck is, you’ll have to get a 2500 HD or 3500 HD to handle a 5th wheel safely.
Discover the Best Free Camping Across the USA
To be honest with you, we hate paying for camping. There are so many free campsites in America (with complete privacy).
You should give it a try!
As a matter of fact, these free campsites are yours. Every time you pay federal taxes, you’re contributing to these lands.
Become a FREE CAMPING INSIDER and join the 100,000 campers that love to score the best site!
We’ll send you the 50 Best Free Campsites in the USA (one per state). Access the list by submitting your email below: